Rest In Peace Iniobong Umoren

Whisper
Published on Sun, 2 May 2021

BCDB0045-262-C-4642-B101-D613-EB5-CDEBD

All Iniobong wanted was a job and Uduak Frank Akpan took advantage of her, posing as a "Good Samaritan" then raped and killed her. She did everything that was expected of her- Shared her location and his contact details with family and friends- to ensure her safety and it was not enough. Her life and that of many other women before her were cut short because our society does not prioritize the safety of women and children. The systems that form the foundation of our society are inherently designed to make women and children the most vulnerable to harm. It starts with the little things that teach biases and entitlement such as gender roles to the big things that foster the culture of silence i.e. the stigmatization of sexual assault and domestic violence victims. These societal ills empower abusers, kidnappers and serial killers in their quest to harm others. A lot needs to change to make the world a safer place for women and children but the first step should be destroying the societal ills that keep us trapped in this endless cycle of despair.

Rest in peace Iniobong, we are so sorry our society failed you.

12 Likes
4 Comment

Comments

CHUKWUMA NWEKE

Thu, 13 May 2021

RIP to her everyone needs to be security conscious ..

Maryjacob Okwuosa

Sat, 29 May 2021

Very true MC Cool, and exactly why we have the Whisper App to help. It's painful what society is like

Jude Akan

Thu, 3 Jun 2021

May her soul rest in peace, Just as cool baba said security conscious should be our number one priority, me having the whisper app I know how confident I am working around, knowing my last location can be tracked or traced,

Angles Mary

Thu, 1 Jul 2021

Hello